Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Star: Penang Government To Run Bridge Marathon

What a nice turnaround of events. The Pakatan Rakyat-led Penang state government is planning to take over the bridge marathon this year, thereby saving it from cancellation! You know what? If they can pull it off better than last year's event, this will be another feather in PR's cap. As for Azalina Othman, nobody will believe in her crocodile tears anymore.

From The Star:
GEORGE TOWN: The state government is planning to take over the organisation of the Penang Bridge Marathon this year after the Malaysian Highway Authority (LLM) cancelled it last month.

State Tourism, Culture, Arts and Heritage Committee chairman Danny Law Heng Kiang said the state had sought permission from the LLM to do it.

"We have yet to fix the date though as we need to liaise with the International Marathon Council. We don't want the run to clash with other events."

LLM director-general Datuk Mohamad Razali Othman had, on May 11, announced that there would not be a run due to financial and manpower constraints.

A week later, Law told reporters yesterday that Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said was disappointed with the cancellation as the marathon had been successful in attracting local and foreign participants in past years.

Previous articles:
• May 12 - 2008 Penang Bridge Marathon Cancelled
• May 13 - Penang Bridge Marathon Cancellation - Satu Lagi Projek BN?

2 comments: