Monday, May 19, 2008
Magnitude 5.9 Earthquake in Sumatra (Updated)
Just to clarify: There has been two earthquakes in the same area in the past hour.
2008 May 19 14:26:45 UTC (10:26 p.m. Malaysian time) - Magnitude 5.9 (USGS)
2008 May 19 14:49:24 UTC (10:49 p.m. Malaysian time) - Magnitude 5.1 (USGS)
• Initially 6.2, the USGS has now revised the magnitude of the earthquake to 5.9 on the richter scale (Source).
• Malaysian Meteorological Department says the first earthquake's scale was 5.8 and the second was 5.0 (Source).
• Quake heavily noticed in Kuala Lumpur and Klang Valley, but Penangites are less affected.
Internet reactions to the quake:
• 5xmom - 10:29 pm - Tremor felt in Penang
• Anak Merdeka - The ground just shook in Seremban
• Lowyat.NET - EARTHQUAKE!
• Vivid - tremors in the night
• Alvin Lim - Earthquake again…this time in Indonesia